Understanding Assisted Living
What is Assisted Living?
Assisted Living is a senior housing option that offers a community setting with care options and resident oversight. Residents are able to reside in their own apartments, but with 24/7 services available. Typically, each resident will have an individual plan of care to meet them where they are, with staff who assist regularly and continuously monitor for changes and safety concerns.
Although each community is unique, services within this Assisted Living often include the following;
- Assistance with personal care including bathing, dressing, grooming, toileting
- Mobility Assistance
- Medication Management and Oversight
- Meals and Dining Services- including physician prescribed diets
- Activity Programming
- Safety Checks
- Pharmacy Assistance
- Coordination of care
Many Communities also offer additional amenities to allow for enrichment of the residents cognitive, social, spiritual and physical well-being. These can include;
- Beauty salons
- Movie theater
- Fitness Center
- Religious Services
- Arts and Crafts Room
How do I know if Assisted Living is right for me or my aging loved one?
If you answer yes to any of these questions, assisted living may be right for you;
- Do you need assistance with personal care tasks such as bathing, grooming, dressing and toileting?
- Do you need assistance with medication management?
- Do you need assistance with mobility?
- Are you at risk of falling?
- Would you benefit from dining, maintenance, and housekeeping services?
- Would you benefit from a social setting with scheduled activities?
It is important to note that if your health requires 24/7 nursing care, assisted living may not be the right setting for you. The Community will perform an assessment and obtain general information from your doctor prior to move-in to determine if your needs can be safely met there.